Need To Amend or Make Changes To Your Tax Return? 


In order to make changes, corrections, or add information to an income tax return that has already been filed and accepted by the IRS, you must file a tax amendment to amend your accepted federal or state tax return.

When Should I File a Federal Tax Amendment (Amended Tax Return)?

Once your federal tax return has been filed or efiled and the IRS has accepted it, and you need to add more tax information or make any corrections to your tax return, you will need to file a federal tax amendment or amend your federal tax return using Form 1040X, Amended Individual Income Tax Return. You may not need to file Form 1040X if there are mathematical errors since the IRS will generally correct them. 

When Should I File a State Tax Amendment?

Generally, if you filed a federal tax amendment, your state tax return may be significantly impacted by changes made to your federal income tax return. 

What Are Other Questions About Amendments? 

Read on for a list of other frequently asked questions. 

Preparing and Filing Amended Tax Returns: Common FAQ's

When Do I Need to Amend a Tax Return?

You should file an amended tax return if you need to make any changes to an already accepted tax return (e.g. your tax return filing status, your dependent information, credits, deductions, income, etc.). Generally, you would need to file your amendment as soon as you know the changes or corrections that you need to make.

If you made changes to your federal return, your submitted state tax return or state tax obligation might be be affected by your federal return changes. Therefore, you may need to amend your state return as well. 

When Should I Not Amend a Tax Return?

If you did not efile your tax return, you may have made simple math errors or forgotten to attach certain forms. The IRS will generally catch the mistakes and correct the errors while they process your original return. If the IRS wants additional information from you (i.e. a missing form or clarification on information included in the original return), they will generally send you a request via letter in the mail.

Can You efile a Tax Amendment like a Tax Return?

No, currently the IRS does not accept tax amendments via electronic transfer or e-file. Thus, you can download Form 1040X - Amended Individual Income Tax Return Form - and complete the form with Adobe Reader. When done, save the file, sign it, and mail it to the IRS. The mailing address is on the form. Make sure that you check the box on the top of the form to show which Tax Year you are amending.

Form 1040X has three columns that you will need to fill out:

  • Column A: Put the amounts from your original, accepted return.
  • Column B: Include the total increase or decrease for the amounts you are changing.
  • Column C: Write the corrected amounts.

On the back of the form, you should explain what you are changing and the reasons why you are making the changes.

When you are done, just print the form, sign it, and mail it to the mailing address shown on the form. Attach any schedules or forms that have been changed to your Form 1040X (failing to do this will cause a processing delay), but you do not need to send a copy of your original return.

What Is the Deadline to Amend My Return?

In order to claim a tax refund, a tax amendment has to be filed within 3 years you filed the original tax return (including extensions), or within 2 years of the date you paid the tax, whichever is later. After 3 years, you can no longer claim a refund, and the money goes to the government.

If you owe taxes, you should file an amended return even if 3 years have passed. Refunds are forfeit after 3 years, but tax debts stay on the IRS books for a minimum of 10 years.

How Long Will It Take for My Tax Amendment to Process?

Once you have mailed in your federal tax amendment Form 1040X, it will take between 8 to 12 weeks from the IRS receipt date until the form is processed. You can check the status of your amended return on the IRS "Where's My Amended Return" tool. This tool is available by calling 1-866-464-2050 or by visiting the IRS website. You can check your status online by clicking the button below:

When Will I Get My Tax Refund After Filing A Tax Amendment?

If you are amending a return in order to get an additional tax refund, you can go ahead and cash or deposit any refund you get in the meantime. However, do not file your amended return until after you receive the refund.

It generally takes the IRS 8-12 weeks to process an amended return, so you should wait at least 8 weeks before checking on the status of your new amended tax refund. Once your amended return has been processed, you will receive any additional refund you are owed.

If it has been over 12 weeks and you still have not received your amended refund check, you can find more information about your refund by calling the IRS customer support line at 1-800-829-1040. Here's a tip for when you call: Press 1 (for English), press 0 (zero), press 0 (zero), and you should be able to talk to a live person at the IRS. The best time to reach the IRS is between 7-9 AM and 6-7 PM, Monday-Friday.

What If I'm Amending My Tax Return Because I Owe Additional Tax?

You should file your Form 1040X and pay your balance due as soon as possible to avoid further interest and penalties on unpaid taxes.

If I'm Amending My Tax Return to Obtain a Refund, Will the IRS Claim My Refund to Pay Taxes I Owe?

The IRS may review your amended return and situation more carefully, especially if the amended return reports a considerable amount of money back. As an alternative, you may apply part or all of your refund to your current year's tax. 

What If I'm Expecting My Original Tax Refund, But I Have Not Received It Yet?

You should wait until you receive the tax refund before you amend your tax return. This allows for any changes or corrections the IRS may have made to your return.

Can I Amend More than One Return at the Same Time?

Yes, but if you file two or more amended returns at the same time, you should use a different Form 1040X for each Tax Year. Make sure that you enter the correct Tax Year at the top of each 1040X. Sign each amended return and mail each one in a separate envelope.

Where Do I Mail My Amended Tax Return?

If you are filing Form 1040X in response to a notice you received from the IRS, mail it to the address shown on that notice. Otherwise, mail your 1040X to the address listed below. Attach any forms or schedules which have been changed.

Please refer to the following mailing addresses below if you have a specific tax situation:

Reimbursement Received As a Result of Hurricane-Related Loss

Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service Center
Austin, TX 73301-0255

Mailing Amended Tax Return Along with Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ

Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service Center
Austin, TX 73301-0215

If none of the situations listed above apply to you, mail your return to the Internal Revenue Service Center shown below that applies to you:

For Residents in Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Texas

Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service Center
Austin, TX 73301

Residents in Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin, and Wyoming

Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service Center
Fresno, CA 93888-0422

Residents in Alabama, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Georgia, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vermont, Virginia, and West Virginia

Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service Center
Kansas City, MO 64999

Dual-Status Aliens, Live in a Foreign Country, Have a U.S. Possession or Territory, Use an APO or FPO Address, or File Form 2555 or Form 2555-EZ

Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service Center
Austin, TX 73301-0215

Important: Remember to sign your amended return before you mail it to the IRS!

What If I Have More Questions About Tax Amendments?

Please contact a Taxpert.