Tax Return Copy
If you prepare and file your Taxes viva taxpert.com we store your tax returns for over 7 years and not additional charge for existing customers. In comparison,the IRS charges over $40 per tax return copy. Keep a tax return copy has many benefits for you.
- As proof of Income e.g. Mortgage, College, Medical Applications, etc.
- When you plan your W-4 Form or Tax Withholding
- In case you receive a letter from the IRS
- In case you get audited by the IRS and/or state
- Since your 2021 AGI (Form 1040, Line 11) is required to e-File your 2022 Tax Return
Sign in to your Taxpert.com account and following the instructions below:
- Click My Account on the upper right side of your account screen.
- Click the appropriate tax year link under the "Your Return" heading. Your completed return will be listed as a PDF file, ready for you to download and print.
- Once you are in the account follow these detailed tax return download instructions
Your current tax year and 2 previous year’s returns are kept in your current Taxpert.com account free of charge to you. Tax returns prior to these years are archived and if you filed these returns with Taxpert.com. Contact a Taxpert for archived Taxpert.com return copies. They can be obtained at $9.95/per return copy. In comparison, the IRS charges $50.00/per return copy for any return, no matter what year. Archived returns for tax years 2014-2017 can be obtained for $9.95 per copy. Archived returns for tax year can be obtained for $49.00 per copy since these cannot be obtained from the IRS. The IRS only provides copies for the current tax year and 6 previous tax years, 2015-2021.
- Online transcript: If you used other platforms or professional tax preparers and you don't have a copy of your tax return data (e.g. Adjusted Gross Income), get a free online IRS tax transcript below. Transcripts are not the same as a tax return copy as they will only summarize your tax returns. Thus, you do not get an exact copy of your return.
- Paper based tax return copy: Follow these instructions to request an IRS Paper based return. You may need a copy of your tax return in the event you need to prepare for a tax audit. Generally, the IRS makes tax return copies available for seven years from the original date they are filed before they are destroyed by law.
- State Tax Return copies: Visit your state tax agency website to request a copy of your state return.
Note: Be aware that a transcript does not show any changes or amendments you or the IRS may have made after the IRS accepted your return.
It is possible to have transcripts mailed to a third party if you specify this on Form 4506-T. Transcripts cannot be sent to a third party if you make your request via phone or online. Transcripts requested online can only be mailed to the address used on your last tax return.
TurboTax® is a registered trademark of Intuit, Inc.
H&R Block® is a registered trademark of HRB Innovations, Inc.